Tuesday, August 28, 2007

What makes you cry in a fetal position?

Well...the answer to that question, for me, is losing my flash drive...twice!!! I decided that this was "blog worthy" pretty much the same minute I lost my second flash drive in 1 week. My little story goes like this...

Background: I am an interior design major. This means that I spend hours and hours on a project (AutoCAD, Photoshop etc.), then I save ALL this work on a flash drive. I truly mean ALL of my work (3 years of work). I usually try to back all of this work up on a second flash drive, but you never really know what you backed up, or at what point in the project.

Crisis: I lost my primary or "favorite" flash drive last week. It is usually attached to a lanyard but, when I went to get it out of my bag I only found the lanyard, no flash drive. Of course at this point I did not freak out. I checked the lost and found at school etc. I did not find it.

Breakdown: So, after searching everywhere and everything, what did I do next? I went home and cried like a little baby in a fetal position for about 20 minutes. I would compare the this feeling to losing a family member or friend that you aren't extremely close to, but you are going to miss...a lot!

Recovery: After a few hours I realized that my fate was not that bad, I had saved most of my important stuff on the back-up flash drive!!!

Prevention: I decided to back-up all of my stuff on my work computer, as to avert a future break-down. However, I wanted to scope out the market first and compare prices for a new back-up flash drive.

Crisis: Yes, it did in fact happen again. Message to everyone with a flash drive, "If you lose a flash drive once, you can in fact lose another one in the same week" (I did not realize this was possible).

Breakdown: Yes, I cried in a fetal position again. I know it's embarrassing just typing it.

Prevention #2: Luckily my mom realized that I needed help, my "flash drive system" was clearly not working. Her solution is seen below (my new flash drives are now attached to my bag with little cords...lets just hope I don't loose my bag :)

10 comments:

Jamie said...

you said you didn't have a picture... did you post this picture AFTER THE FACT?!?! and... can you believe we had a whole conversation about blogs? ...are we geeks, or just really, really cool?

tjcool18 said...

Your story evoked such emotion in me that I just finished crying in fetal position!

Designing Woman said...

This post wasn't really meant to make others cry in a fetal position (I wouldn't wish that on anyone)...but I appreciate the empathy, thanks TJ :)

Peter FNFN said...

bahahaha! that's a classic story. thanks for making me laugh at 8 in the morning. but seriously... i hate when that happens! i've had flash problems before

Jamie said...

Also, this is very sad and I feel your pain as Steve or I lost my flash drive and it was very very sad. And the answer to your title question can now be found on my blog.

Anonymous said...

When my younger brother and brother-in-law make fun of my hairy back.
xoxo
curtrg281

Peter FNFN said...

krystle...
found this blog of note for you
http://designsponge.blogspot.com/2006_06_01_archive.html
don't know if it's updated still... but check it out.

Maren said...

That is such a sad story, I would have cried too. You know what else makes you feel like that? Leaving your digital camera in a parking garage in Seattle and having your surfboard stolen from your garage. All in one summer. Not that I'm speaking from personal experience.

JAVISE ESCAPES said...

wow, that was depressing. I hope that you have inspired others to keep a leash to all things that are near and dear to them.

alice said...

mmmm, now that's a sad but unbelievable story. i just went to check where my flash drive is. mine doesn't contain the critical information that yours did but there's one file that i would be heartbroken to loose. my spreadsheet with our budget. i've tracked every cent we have spent since the day that we were married. everything! that's four years of purchases. yep, i'm a nerd like that.