Saturday, June 4, 2011

Before and After

I am a huge fan of "before and after" pics so I thought you might want to see mine. I've been working, for awhile now, on my very first solo design project.

My friend Sydney referred me to the doctor she works for, to remodel their office. I presented my "design plans" and he actually trusted me to make the design "come to life". I know, pretty cool.

He decided to do the reception and waiting area first. Here is the BIG reveal!

The Design:
  • I had to work with the existing blue and purple chairs, the carpet and the cherry wood stained tables.
  • In the old design the chair colors looked really out of place with warm yellow-y colored paint on the walls.
  • My goal was to make it look like the chairs, carpet and other furniture was selected specifically for this design and make them all blend together.
  • I added wood chair rail and base boards to match the color of the wood frame on the chairs.
  • I demo'ed the existing, unwelcoming, reception desk privacy glass and replaced it with a polished travertine counter and new wood surrounds.
  • I repainted the walls one color that was a little bit more of a "cool neutral" to blend with the chair colors.
  • Then, I added accessories and a few finishing touches.

~Before~

~After~



~Before~

~After~



~Before~

~After~

Eventually I want to get really good quality photos of the "afters" but this gives you the general idea.

Luckily the doctor, staff and patients are all really happy with the result, which is such a relief! It has been a great experience and I've learned a lot about transferring designs from drawings and ideas, to reality. So fun!

5 comments:

Jamie said...

Wow K how exciting!!! I especially love the reception area--big difference, super nice. And thank goodness you demolished the weird glass thing over the desk. (How powerful did you feel ordering something to be demo'd??)

Lori said...

MUCHO BETTER! We are excited for you to come talk at our design night for young womens on Tuesday...

joyous said...

Very cool!!! The finished product looks very put together and welcoming. :) Congrats!

Allana said...

love the reception area! plexiglass like there was only makes sense in a ghetto, and even then, totally not inviting. I'd totally sit in that doctor's office! ;)

Tasha said...

How fun and exciting :) Great job